Monday, July 7, 2008

We Live in a House

We just spent our first weekend in our new home! Every day I love it even more. I don't know how I lived my life without windows under which I can lay and gaze at the clouds. There's even such a window over my master bathtub! My favorite room is the top floor, I guess it's a loft? We can see out over the countryside and feel the lovely breeze with the windows open. Yesterday Chris and I played several hands of cards sitting under those windows.

Much to Chris's delight, we purchased a television. It's one of those fancy flat screens, and our satellite should be set up this week so we can watch it. We went cheapo on the tv channels, it costs 500 euro to set up the actual satellite receiver so we decided to buy a 60 euro digital receiver and pick up all the numerous free channels available, there is no monthly fee. Eventually we will purchase an AFN decoder and pick up the Armed Forces Network channels as well, I've decided the talk shows on it are a month behind from the U.S. which really isn't bad.

We experienced our first festival this weekend, the Altstadtfest in Kaiserslautern. It was not as exciting as I had anticipated, yet it was fun. We walked around the streets full of food and alcohol vendors, with music performance stages set up at intervals. One street was very cool, it was medieval-looking.

We recieved our first shipment this morning! The movers showed up before 7am, but that's just fine because we didn't have to sit around all day waiting and wondering when they would come. We now have bedding, towels, dishes, cooking supplies, clothes, and other miscellaneous items. It's exciting though, we've been putting things away. I now have a mound of dishes to wash before we use them, we tried to start the dishwasher the other day and it didn't work, so we need to call the landlord.

I love recycling! We have only 1 grocery bag full of trash, but 2 huge overflowing piles of recyclables! The Germans don't mess around with recycling, if we put something in the wrong bin they will bill us for having to sort it out. It's a little confusing as to what goes where, so we have a pamphlet up on the refrigerator that we refer to frequently.

Now we're off to get our BMW! We have to take it for a second inspection and get it licensed. Then we'll grocery shop at the commissary and take Chris's dress blues to the dry cleaner, they came today and he's supposed to wear them Wednesday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you recycled a teabag yet? I think there is a way to recycle the entire thing.