Wednesday, July 2, 2008

German Cars

We began our early morning today with a medical briefing. Guess what Mom - the Air Force purchased and handed out How To Take Care Of Yourself books! Now I won't have to call you in the middle of the night with random ailments.

I explored the Education Office today, and spent a lot of time sitting in Chris's office. We had the briefing at 8, and then at 2 we went to the car dealership to take our car for a military inspection. Chris said it drove very nicely, I would expect so!

We found out the car won't be ready till Monday, so we rented a hilarious little bright yellow VW fox for the weekend. It was sandwiched between 2 other cars, so I squeezed into the drivers seat and put it in neutral so Chris could push it out and get in. Of course with reverse on the left, I freak out about where reverse, first, and third are, and end up killing it 3 times because I was starting in third. Chris and I switched places, and I then remembered my dad showing me that VWs push down for reverse, so we finally figured out where the gears were.

We're going to begin moving our belongings to the duplex tonight, and check out of the hotel in the morning. Sadly, I will no longer have internet :-( I tried to set up internet with the service on base, but they do not have lines in the area of our house. So we called the landlord to ask about the German telephones and internet, and she told us the office that speaks English! Tomorrow I'll go start setting that up, though the Germans are more relaxed than Americans and it will probably take at least 2 weeks for our internet to get set up. Until then I'll take my laptop to the library so I can check my email and make exciting updates!

Chris has Friday off since it is the fourth of July, though it's not a holiday in Germany, obviously. We're planning on doing some furniture shopping, the nearest Ikea is in Mannheim :-) This weekend there is a big festival in Kaiserslautern so we thought we would go experience it, and Chris can drink some beer! Sunday I'll try to convince Chris to take a walk and explore our new little town, Steinwenden.

Callie is a silly cat. I've just about decided she is part dove, she coos quite a bit. She's obsessed with running water, we need to find her a pet water fountain. I'm happy we will have a backyard for her to roam around and do her kitty cat activities in. She's almost at the point where she will walk alongside me while she's on her leash, it's pretty funny.

No comments: