Wednesday, July 23, 2008

IKEA take 2

Well, yesterday's IKEA trip was much less stressful than the first, yet just as unsuccessful. We went to the IKEA in Saarlouis, toward France. It was fun listening to French music on the radio during the drive! Our first stop was transport this time, and yay they deliver to our town but boo, they won't deliver till Monday, the glorious day I begin my job and will no longer be able to stay home and wait for such deliveries. We walked through the store, which was smaller than the other one but we liked that. We did buy a couple of chairs for our patio. On the drive home we listened to instrumental music stations and Chris quizzed me on what musical period they were from and why.

We've decided that eventually we will rent a van and drive to an IKEA that has in stock what we want (the one at Saarlouis didn't have what we wanted in stock, either) because the IKEA website has a convenient little tool where I can find if what we want is in stock at certain stores. That way we don't have to worry about delivery, and the cost is similar to delivery costs. But we have to plan our gas just right, Germany rations gas at 200 liters per month.

Thank you U.S. taxpayers for paying your taxes! We just found out our monthly utility stipend was raised, yay! Now all our rent and utilities are paid for by the monthly allowances!

I think our house gets bigger each time I clean it. Which I do every couple of days! I suppose it's pretty simple though, all I have to do is sweep all the floors and swiffer wet-jet a few spots here and there. I did a thorough cleaning today, because though we've been told several different things about our household goods shipment, it will be delivered tomorrow for sure! I'm the most excited about our dresser and chest of drawers, and hangers!!! The shrunks without hangers just aren't cutting it anymore. Chris is excited for his computer and game systems, but I'm afraid I'll never see my husband or have his full attention ever again :-(

More people have moved here that work in Chris's office, he's the supervisor for 6 people! His supervisor is due to have a little baby tomorrow, but she's so tiny she does not look 9 months pregnant. I get my knitting needles tomorrow, maybe I'll knit a little baby blanket.

I'm on the last leg of our wedding quilt! Yesterday I finished the quilting and pinned the binding, so all I have to do is sew the perimeter of the quilt! I'm beginning to wonder if I'm strong enough to hand-sew it, maybe I can convince Chris it's time for a sewing machine! I found a little sewing shop in the next town, and there's more in other nearby towns!

No comments: