Friday, August 8, 2008

Rain and Quilts

We've been having the most wonderful thunderstorms! It's cooled down the air, and I just love storms. I was very afraid of thunderstorms until my Grandpa Duke took me outside on the porch and held me during one, then I wasn't afraid anymore and I liked them (during the daytime, it took several more years to be okay with nighttime storms too).

Today was a fun day at work. I'm still needed as a teller with scheduling, so today I was on my very own with my very own cash drawer! I really enjoyed it, and I learned some new things. I processed over 35 savings bond redemptions, and I counted lots and lots of US and Euro coins. The dollar/euro rate keeps going up slowly but surely, this weekend it's .6415 euro to the dollar!

Chris is always so tired when we come home from work, he usually spends the evening watching DVDs of the TV show Numbers. I've got my quilting spread out on the living room floor and I work on that and watch TV with him. I have one piece of fabric left to cut into strips, then I'll be ready to sew! I still haven't shopped for a sewing machine, it will have to be next saturday or the next week when I have a day off during the week. German stores are typically open 10am to 6pm from Monday to Friday, and shorter hours on Saturdays. The economy is more family oriented, so shops open late and close early. I like that, it just means I have to schedule a time to go.

This weekend Chris and I are going to explore the Black Forest! We have a few different towns picked out to explore with some museums, and there are tons of outdoor activities with hiking, viewing waterfalls, and we're spending the night on Lake Titisee. I want a cuckoo clock! But I'm not going to get one on this trip.

Chris and I tried to sign up for a tour going to Brussels next saturday for the famous flower carpet, but it was full. I don't think we'll have enough gas liters for the rest of the month if we do the Black Forest and Brussels. The flower carpet only occurs once every two years, so we decided to just go when it happens again in two years.

No comments: