Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall in Germany

Autumn in Germany is chilly. Let me provide an example of how chilly it is: today is September 23 and I wore a sweater to work. In Missouri you could barely convince me to wear a sweater in December or January, I would get too hot. Okay, so it's not that cold, today was in the low 50s, but the sweater thing is true! Maybe I get too hot because of excessive heaters...speaking of heaters we do not know how ours work. It gets pretty chilly at night, we have a quilt, and down comforter, and we're still snuggling for body heat. Each room has at least one heater, and we tried to turn a few on but nothing happened, I suppose we'll have to call the landlord.

I was so excited to go back to work today and be awesome because I just got back from training. Didn't happen that way. I only did 3 things today that I had learned at training. But I did them well! There's soooo much other stuff to do that I've never been introduced to before. Our banking center gives me a headache, I can't wait for the new Kaiserslautern Military Community Center to open on Ramstein, we will have a fancy new facility in it! Unfortunately, it was supposed to open 2 years ago, there are construction problems and it keeps getting pushed back. So I wonder if I'll even be here for the move, but I hope it won't take 3 more years!

Chris is working long hard days in the budget office for the closeout of the AF fiscal year, so after work today I went exploring! I went to the grocery store in Ramstein Village (as opposed to Ramstein Air Base) because I had been recommended that their produce was much better than the commissary's. It was so much better! The produce was wonderful, I just ate a fresh yummy salad. I also bought some yogurt, there are so many different kinds and flavors. Since I'm not big on the texture of yogurt, I also bought museli, which is kind of like granola, to put in it. I love finding new things, especially when they're off base, I feel more like I'm experiencing the German culture. Have I mentioned lately that I love the Germans? I can very much tell my heritage is German.

We received our new queen mattress and box springs yesterday! Here's another example: when we take Callie outside she's so excited and plops right down on the concrete and rolls around stretching because it feels so good. When Chris and I laid down in our new bed, we rolled around because it felt so good! I slept so much better last night on our happy new mattress than I have for months! Now we just wait for our gorgeous wooden Belgian bed to be made and delivered, and our bedroom will be all set! Then comes a new couch, chair, and ottoman, our borrowed living room furniture is even more miserable than our borrowed bed. It's very miniature, so to compensate we've chosen an oversized sofa to buy!

Remember the fancy, expensive kitty cat water fountain I purchased for Callie? It stopped working :-( The motor makes it's little noise, but it's not pushing the water out the fountain anymore. Callie was appalled at the bowl of water I presented her with this morning! I bet she'll be back in the sink pretty soon...

No comments: